Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

On writing and other How-to-write-a-book books.

Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

On writing and other How-to-write-a-book books.

Post by Mac on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Have you heard of Stephen King's book On Writing? I was surprised no one mentioned it until now (in this section). Anyway, have any of you read any How-to-write-a-book books? I read Wannabe a writer?, Wannabe a writer we've heard of? and how to write a novel and get it published. The latter is more serious and the first 2 are more light hearted and I personally found hilarious and quite chatty, as if the author was talking to you. Did you benefit from reading similar books?
    Maris

Re: On writing and other How-to-write-a-book books.

Post by Maris on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:15 pm

I read Stephen King's On Writing. It's certainly good to get advice from published authors.

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I even simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant. None of those things, however, came out of my mouth. All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you. I AM HAUNTED BY HUMANS.”
    - Death (The Book Thief by Markus Zusak)
    Tia

Post by Tia on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:26 pm

I've never really read a How to write book. I probably should. Out of the ones you listed, which one did you like the best?
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Depends really. I found How to write a novel etc really useful information wise but the Wannabe one's were totally hilarious and gave some excellent tips, anecdotes etc on how to get published on nearly everything you can write Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:51 pm