Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Character development

Emma

Character development

Post by Emma on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm currently having trouble with the characterization/development of my MC. Consequently, I am now checking out some relevant sites on the internet in an attempt to rectify the many problems my story is now facing Neutral

So I was wondering what character-related resources you guys have. Is there some article which has made a significant difference to your writing? Do you have any tips when it comes to linking together a character's flaws, strengths, past etc?

A good site I just found is: http://fullcircle.comicgenesis.com/characterdevelopment.htm

Thank you Smile
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Re: Character development

Post by Mac on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi Emma Smile (Thanks for your help on my Chapter, I haven't been able to see it until now!)

On Yahoo Answers there used to be lots of people who'd have questions which were Character Interviews. Remember them?

I used them a lot but they've gone now. I did search up Character Interviews and I found a lot of good websites. I can't remember how I found this one (since I'm not part of Gaia) but here it is: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/writers/extremely-detailed-character-sheet-template/t.39274769/

My tip is to try and relate certain aspects of your MC to the people you know. Do you know someone who's trustworthy or someone who... likes fried Cheerio's? By doing that you might be able to combine three people (One who is kind but lies a lot, someone who's clever but immature and another person who is X but Y)
    into one realistic person Smile

I hope that helped,
    Mac
    Emma

Post by Emma on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Wow that is one long character interview!! It looks really good though. I haven't done any character interviews recently so maybe it would be a good idea to start them again.
    Thanks Mac!!! Very Happy
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 pm

You're welcome! Smile I miss the Character interviews of Yahoo but I always used to do them for Liam and never really paid attention to the others.
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:52 pm

:O I have an idea Emma! How about we create a subforum for characters? I've seen it in use before - you make a topic 'John Smith' and you write a little about that character (pretending you're them) and others ask questions about you. So it'd be

John Smith

Hi I'm John Smith and I'm X years old and live in Y. I used to live in Z but I've been abducted by aliens. They keep performing 'tests' on me and I'm fed up of it. I want to escape, but the only way is through Substance A and I'm scared of it etc.

Ahmadblues says:
    What is the nature of these tests? Are they painful? Do you miss home?

John Smith says:
    The tests aren't painful but they're B. I do miss home and I miss my fiancé Jane Smith. I'm also having traumatic nightmares

Other Random Dude:
    What are the nightmares like?

The whole point of it is to learn more about your characters from the questions someone else asked. What do you think? Is it good enough to ask Joce to see what she thinks and maybe make a subforum?
    Emma

Post by Emma on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:02 pm

YES!!! That's a great idea. It could be especially helpful for those who will be writing in first person, as it will help develop a strong voice for the MC. (Unfortunately I'm writing in 3rd person, but never mind.)

The only disadvantage that I see is that I might get to know "John Smith" so well by asking him questions, that when I get around to actually reading John Smith's story, I won't be able to accurately say if he's been characterized effectively enough in the first few chapters. I won't know if the author has characterized him well enough so that an outside reader will be able to understand most aspects his personality.

^^Okay, I'm not sure if that made any sense or not, so tell me if I'm just rambling!!!

As long as everyone keeps that in mind, I think it would be definitely helpful in the long term.
    Such a good idea!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My only question would be, would we be role-playing character X from the beginning of his/her story, or from the middle? Or would it be up to each person?
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Wow, you seem super excited! XD I'll Private Message Joce about it.

It'd be up to the author about when it should be from. It could even be from the end if you wanted.

I guess we'd know if he's been characterized well enough so that we understand his basic personality. I think we'd learn his deeper personality and all later. I think that we should avoid revealing too much! XD

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 pm