Teen Writers Critique Group

Welcome to TWCG, a forum for teen writer. Here you can post works, get feedback, and talk to others.
In order to prevent plagiarism and protect our members copyright, certain forums, such as the Critique Center, will be off-limit unless logged in.

Thank for your time.

Character Interview example

Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Character Interview example

Post by Mac on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi everyone! In case you didn't read about how this forum will work on the Character Development topic, (where Emma and I were talking about it) this is how it'll work.

Let's say we're writing about John Smith who has been abducted by aliens. You guys (not the author) will be interviewing him. It could be from the start of his story to the end, it just depends where the author decides. Here's an Example:

John Smith:
    Hi, I'm John and I'm 27 years old. I used to live in the small town of Seaford in the US but I was abducted by aliens. Ever since I've been here, they've performed tests on me - I've been their guinea-pig. I really want to escape, but I'm not sure how...

Ahmadblues:
    What are the nature of these tests? Are they painful? Do they affect you in a certain way? Do you miss home?

John Smith wrote:
    I'd rather... not speak about them. They don't hurt but they're... humiliating They give me a lot of traumatic nightmares, which I've been having since I arrived. (Here you can add information that isn't the answer to the question if you'd like to. Other members can pick up on that) I also miss my fiancée Jane Smith... etc.

Other_TWCG_Member_123:
    What's home like? What's your fiancée like? Is there anyone else who was abducted with you?

John Smith:
    Yeah, there are three other Humans here, Janet Smith, Jacqueline Smith and Jerry Smith (if he wanted to, he could add their opinions here)

I hope that gave an idea to how this subforum would work. Happy interviewing! (You can ask the character as many questions as you like).

Are there any Questions? Feel free to reply if there are!
    Mac
    Emma

Re: Character Interview example

Post by Emma on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Yay! Very Happy
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Emma, are you going to post the first real interview?
    Emma

Post by Emma on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Wink mmm okay!
    Emma

Post by Emma on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:07 pm

I might just warn you first that this character still isn't fully developed!! But I'm working on it!!!
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Emma wrote:I might just warn you first that this character still isn't fully developed!! But I'm working on it!!!

Neither are any of my characters, but Liam and Lauren are probably the most and Mustafa is the least (the least on Paper)
    Joce
    Admin

Post by Joce on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:21 pm

Same here.
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 pm

I should mention that you are allowed to have more than one of your characters interviewed. It's obvious, but in case you weren't sure... You could even interview a character who was simply watching what was going on (as if it was 3rd person.)
    Maris

Post by Maris on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:05 pm

I'd love to do this with one of my characters, but I keep changing their backstories and plots.

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I even simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant. None of those things, however, came out of my mouth. All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you. I AM HAUNTED BY HUMANS.”
    - Death (The Book Thief by Markus Zusak)
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Maris: How about you try and only think of a plot - or begin planning out that idea that's been tugging at your sleeve for the past year soon? We'll do the backstory (or at least give you prompts to think about their back story Smile)
    Maris

Post by Maris on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Well, I'd pick this character whose backstory I'm familiar with (even though I change a few details from time to time as appropriate considering the way the story idea evolves). However, what happens to her during the story itself is not something I'm familiar with. I have a very general idea. I've been struggling with the plot outline for a long time. If you think you can work with that, I suppose we could give it a shot.

“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I even simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant. None of those things, however, came out of my mouth. All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you. I AM HAUNTED BY HUMANS.”
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:38 pm

I think we would be able to work with that Smile Is it a character from the prologue posted? I'll admit that it's even better if we saw a first chapter or something. Or maybe even the general idea you had so that we'd be able to post something asking about something in the idea/chapter. Feel free to post their interviEw and I'll be on it! Very Happy
    Tia

Post by Tia on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:53 pm

I would also interview you. Seriously, though, it really helps. When I posted my character interview, I not only got a whole bunch of ideas for his character, but for my other characters as well.
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:54 pm

You're welcome, Tia Smile (What? I did help interview him Smile)
    Tia

Post by Tia on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:58 pm

You did do most of the work Mac Smile
    In fact, I still haven't answered your last question XD Sorry, I just don't feel like it that much after 4 pages...
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Lol it's completely fine Smile The main objective was fulfilled Very Happy
    Maris

Post by Maris on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:33 pm

No, the characters from the prologue I posted are a total mess right now.
    The character I'm talking about is the main character of my Harry Potter fanfiction. Maybe I'll write a novel featuring her someday, but right now she's an original character in the world of Harry Potter. There are only two things about the plot that I'm sure of. Everything else I'm constantly turning upside down trying to find the right combination. The first thing is that she's going to fall in love with Sirius (the story most likely begins in 1977 when they're both on their 7th year at Hogwarts). The second thing is spoilerish so I'm not sure if I should share it with you quite yet.
    How does that sound? Do you want me to post it or would you rather wait till I have some actual plot on my mind rather than constantly shifting ideas? Razz

Tia

Post by Tia on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Post it. Why not? We haven't had a new character interview in ages. And besides, the plot isn't that relevant as much as your characterization is. You know, making sure she's not a Mary Sue, that she's got her likes and dislikes, that she has her flaws and perks, her own speech pattern, yada, yada, yada. We can even interview her from the very beginning of the story if you like, to maybe help you get ideas. And besides, it’s super fun.
    Oh, and Sirius is awesome. Good choice Very Happy
    Mac
    No. 1 Poster
    No. 1 Poster

Post by Mac on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:23 am

Yeah, Post it! The Character interviews can help with plot but that's the secondary objective.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 am